Sunday 10 November 2013

Probation Results

I started my job working as a dispatcher back in August, though it really does feel like I've been here forever. I've gotten used to all my coworkers and I like all of them. All of them have their own little quirks and they're pleasant to be around. I've also started to get to know some of our drivers better and for the most part I like most of them.

Note that I said most. Some are really whiny, rude, or just outright annoying.

Like the guy who asked for directions, didn't follow said directions, and then complains when lost.

But this entire time I've been on probation. In these three months I've been evaluated to see if I would be worth keeping for the long term. This would mean a raise, health benefits, bonuses, statuary holiday pay, etc. etc.. I mean, I thought I was being paid pretty well as it was, so an additional bump up from this is certainly appreciated.

And then last week, my boss pulled me over into a boardroom, we sat down and then he told me he had to let me go.

Well this is certainly a downer.

Apparently I hadn't been improving as much as they would have liked over the last month or so. My boss wasn't able to provide me with any one specific event or thing. I mean, yes I made mistakes, but I tried my best to rectify them and not repeat them in the future. Really not sure what to make of this.

A little voice in my head says that they wanted a guy to for the busy fall season and get rid of him during the dead winter season. This would coincide with my boss's claims that the timing wasn't right for me. Though, that wouldn't make much sense. Train a guy only to do a few month's work.

With that being said, they're not firing me per se. If any position opens up in the Spring for the company, they'd like me to reapply and try again. Try another 3 months probation and see where that goes. And honestly, I probably will try again if nothing else pops up from now and spring.

Because I have started job hunting again.

I know some of you may be wondering why I'd be so willing to head back to a company that just booted me out. Well, for starters, the pay was great. For a guy who just popped out fresh from University, this was phenomenal especially consider that this was just probation pay. The other jobs I've looked at so far provide much less for far more work and stress.

But my coworkers were also great. If there was an issue, they'd pull me aside and show me how to properly do something. No one was passive aggressive, rude, or stupid. And all of them were genuinely surprised that I didn't make the probation. I made an effort to say goodbye to as many as I could before I left the office. I'm going to miss them, they were good people.

I'm also considering maybe heading back to University just for a single term. Maybe get working on a second degree. I'd rather not though, because my debt is still in the thousands. No need to increase it any further.


Which brings me to my next point. If there's anything being jobless has done to me, it's give me A LOT of free time. I guess I can start reliably blogging again as well as working on certain projects. Though, being jobless means I have to carefully budget my money again. Which sucks.

Also probably a good thing that I didn't quit my fast food job. I'll probably try and snatch as many shifts there as I can until I can get something full-time again or head back to classes.

I'm really disappointed though. I fully expected to get through my probation period with no problems.

27 comments:

  1. Damn that sucks, but it does sound like they can't afford you when things get quiet. Otherwise why ask you to reapply for the job next Spring?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so disappointing. I am sorry that you were let go because it seemed you really enjoyed that job. Hope they give you a good reference to help you get something else

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I'm sorry to hear that! I know here, it's common to hire someone when its busy and lay them off when it gets slow again. Keep looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are always silver linings or reasons that things happen. I'm not saying that as a cliche but as something that I truly believe. Even though you don't wish to further your debt, a Master's Degree could open a lot of doors for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dont worry..this might be a stepping stone for a better job in future..I really dont understand why they have to let you go..but its okay..try again and im sure all will be well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like a seasonal thing. I would reapply in spring if I was in your shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty surprised that you weren't fully employed and didn't end up that way. It sounded like they were really singing your praises there and that being employed would be a done deal. The timing being wrong could be pretty true. I hope that either something turns up, or something turns up in Spring back with the dispatchers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no, that's terrible. I thought you would make it through alright. Good luck with the job hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a case of use and then let go at the end

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, from what you'd been telling us I hadn't seen this coming either. Shame, but hey, nothing you can do about it.
    The free time's a huge plus, and I recall some recent project recaps stating it was something you really needed, so here's your opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, isn't THAT a sonovabitch. Sorry to hear it. But you're wise not to burn bridges in the workforce. I hope something great turns up soon for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry they let you go. Sounds like it was not personal but the bottom line for them, which sucks. But I agree you can go back just keep in mind it would be temporary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Figures, that is how they work now, pay as less as they can. Dirty rotten sobs

    ReplyDelete
  14. That really sucks, and I did not expect to read that. Everything you posted about your experiences there in previous blog postings sounded like things were going well. You're a bigger man than I for being willing to go back. I'd march out of that place with so many middle fingers. So, so many. Everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry about this. Stay strong and hopefully you will get something better .I know that you will miss your coworkers and of course your paycheck. Check out your county's health insurance companies. There might be a need for a health care company navigator. In Dutchess County NY they are hiring.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What the fuck man, excuse my language buddy, I'm just shocked and annoyed that you were let go. You always sounded like you lived and breathed your work the last few months and you've been so passionate and I just wasn't expecting when I read this post that you would be let go, I thought for sure, like 110% this would be a run of the mill almost summary of your last few working months and I'm gutted for you, you'll pick yourself up buddy, I remember getting sacked by my job when my time ran out too and it seemed like the end but the grass isn't always greener on the other side for the employer who lets a good worker like yourself go.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, isn't THAT like getting blasted in the face with a bucket of warm spit?
    Yuk.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well that is fucking RUDE! I had something similar happen at a job, six weeks in - after being told I was doing so well, I got let go with no reason given. Then they did that to about a person a week for a year. I found out later it was budget - why the hell didn't they say something?

    You're too good for these clowns.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I understand your frustration.
    “As long as there is life, there is a potential; and as long as there is a potential, there will be a success! You will sprout again when cut down! You will rise again even when you fall!”

    ReplyDelete
  20. yes this happens in companies, but good part is they paid good salary to you , sometimes this also does not happen
    good luck for next job

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry to hear that. I think in this economy with all of the new taxes and stuff, it is just your bosses way of down sizing. It really stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maybe you could get FT work at the university, and then they'll pay your tuition for you. :)

    I'm sorry you didn't make probation. :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yeah, sounds like they needed you for a busy period. If they thought you weren't doing a good enough job they wouldn't have asked you to re-apply in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That sucks :( I'm sorry, dude! Something better will come along soon, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ugh, dude, that's rough. I'm sure you'll turn it around

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow that sucks. It sounds to me like they needed you when things were busy and let you go when they could handle it on their own again. That's definitely not very classy.

    But you seem smart, so I'm sure you can find something new and start fresh. I'm sure you can do it :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really sad to hear this, it seems like you shouldn't be let go. Good luck with the possible reapplication, and with job hunting again. I'm sure this experience will help you get back on your feet again.

    ReplyDelete