Friday 6 September 2013

Moving Up

I think I've finally gotten into the groove of working at my new job. Wake up. Turn off the alarm. Sleep for another 10 minute. Get up. Get ready. Get stuck in traffic. Be a few minutes late (but no one cares). Sit down in front of a computer. Talk on the phone all day long and help people. Head to the gym. Go home. Internet. Pass out.

It's nice to have a routine. Well, a routine in which I get paid to be tired and deal with (occasionally) stupid people.

All the time.

For those unaware, I'm currently working at my new job at a concrete company. For the month of August I was pretty much being taught as much as I could learn about concrete, and then how to sit in front of a computer how to respond to the many clients who wanted concrete orders or modifications to their orders.

I was told I was learning extremely quickly. Maybe it was just because the last order person was a complete ditz who couldn't figure out the program but I picked it up within a week. Last week they unleashed me on the phones by myself and I've been fine every since.

Which is scary, because a single error can result in massive costs on our end. In fact, the other day, someone checking over an order I made brought to my attention that I had entered in a wrong concrete mix due to a 3 character difference. And had that order gone through, it would have cost the company easily $25,000.

Oops.

So part of our training is to double check orders, and re-double check orders to make sure everything goes right. Nearly all the mistakes I make are simply due to being new and they're pretty much all caught or not costly. My coworkers are pretty nice about it, teaching and showing me how to do things properly without making me feel like an idiot.

And so for about 2 weeks I did this. Time goes by surprisingly fast, shifts disappearing quickly. I rarely have an idle moment and I don't mind. This job keeps me awake and conscious and that's not a bad thing at all.

But on the side, I was also being trained for dispatch. Meaning I would now be in charge of sending out trucks in the city, directing drivers, etc. etc.. It's more fast-paced plus I believe I get paid more to do so.

Being paid even more to sit in front of a computer? Awesome.

But the training for being a dispatcher slowly disappeared. And I resigned to sticking with being in Orders. But I was ok with it. It kept my mind active, I was still being paid well, and there's something rewarding about helping people all day. Especially when most are appreciative.

And then yesterday,  my supervisor suddenly pulls me away from my desk. Usually when he does this it's because he caught a mistake I made. Except this time I'm greeted with, "Damian, you're completely comfortable with orders now. Starting now, we're training you for dispatch."

Turns out, dispatchers do EVERYTHING on top of sending out trucks. No point of training me for it if I wasn't comfortable with orders yet. But it clear that I am proceeding far ahead of schedule. Especially since we hired someone new and I can compare my rate of progress to her.

Feels good man.

Well, we would have started. If my systems account didn't suddenly decide to die on me. So we start next week. My official dispatcher training will require me to work longer and later hours. But I get overtime so I'm not complaining.

But this means that I can no longer work at my fast food job during the evenings. I'm now occasionally working on the weekends and this will continue until my full-time job starts allocating me to weekend shifts as well.

As much as I'll miss the cheap food, I think it's time I finally move on. Plus, I make more doing 1 hour of OT than I would doing 3 hours fast food.

22 comments:

  1. I think you've had problems with the fast food job too. It doesn't matter if you don't get cheap food anymore because now you're making enough to not need it to be cheap. Congrats on working your way up so quickly. You also make me glad that if I screw up at work I couldn't possibly cost them that much money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah being alert is the key.
    Enjoy the benefits though, as that is one good thing about a job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 25k, that's more than my annual salary

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't argue with those figures mate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad the job is going so well -- that's great! Yes, kiss fast food goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Surprised you are even keeping the fast food, with all of that I'd have dumped it loooong ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go :) OT means your debts go down right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds all good to me! Glad your new job is working out so well. I imagine if you are sitting at a computer all day the gym trips in the evening help to keep you fit too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds all good and well man, you're doing really good. Who knows, you may end up at the top of that company's food chain one day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Frankly I can't believe you were working fast food still. With that decent job? What time do you have for yourself, man?

    Also, your new theme song for the time being should be The Jeffersons Theme Song. I just had ot playing in my mind all the way through reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow sounds like everything is doing pretty good for you. Congratulations on your early promotion!

    The other good thing about giving up the past food side job is that you can avoid eating the unhealthy foods there ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah buddy I think it's a good idea to move on from your previous job because this job is just another level, glad to hear all is going good man.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the promotion! It's better to just have one job. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats! Glad its going well

    ReplyDelete
  15. congrats! it feels good to get comfortable in a job after the initially training period. hopefully you'll fly through the dispatcher training too, getting overtime paid..woah man!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Huge congratulations with your job in Orders and now Dispatch! Fast food doesn't sound so appealing as concrete! LOL! Wow!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. good that you will be paid for overtime

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to hear things are going well! OT is a beautiful thing, is it not? And who doesn't love getting paid to sit in front of a computer? Even if you're doing something and working hard it almost feels like you're not, and there's a kind of guilty pleasure to that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on the promo, that was fast. Soon you'll be CEO lol.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Paid OT is good. Some companies don't.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It sounds like you're doing great!! I love the sense of accomplishment in the post. Good job. :)

    As for leaving the fast food job, your body will thank you. ;) :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. congrats! And yup, fast food is not a big money earner ;)

    ReplyDelete