Wednesday 5 March 2014

An Assortment of Things

I've been mostly silent lately due to a lack of things to talk about. Well, not so much a lack of things, but rather, a lack of significant enough things to talk about. These last few weeks have been quiet for me, what with midterms brewing around the corner again I don't really have much time for hobbies.

At least, that's what a sane and responsible student would say.

This is what I say instead.

Thanks to my brother, Brian, I've been indulging in an old vice of mine. A decade ago I used to watch a lot of anime, but by the end of High School I dropped out of it and lost interest. It just wasn't for me anymore. Plus, I took a peek at what was being released and it was meh.

But then 2013 came online.

A lot of people are hailing 2013 as a revival of sorts, a lot of stellar animes were released that were unique in terms of both art and story. I guess people were tired of having to chose between either "cute" high school girls doing "cute" things or buff guys training harder to beat up other buff guys.

Unfortunately, none of the ones that I liked this season are PG so I'm not sure I can really share them on my blog. You either get an excessive amount of violence, fan service, or both. That doesn't deter from the fact that I really liked them and they're good, but I need to keep my blog family friendly.

Does this count as family friendly? Anyone who recognizes the reference gets 100 Dogecoin.

I also used to play a lot of Starcraft 2 back in my undergrad year. I liked it, it was a challenging and stimulating game that forced you to make decisions based on what your opponent was (or wasn't) doing on the fly. Failure to do so would mean a crippling defeat in the next few minutes.

Seriously. I have had games end in 6 minutes and 30 seconds because of a minor detail I missed 6 minutes into the game. Starcraft is an unforgiving and relentless monster and that's part of the reason why I stopped playing. I started getting angry, frustrated, and I just didn't have fun anymore. Enough was enough and so I stopped.

And my brother, the bad influence that he is, has converted me to League of Legends. A game that I swore I would never touch because I hate working with teammates.

But it's fun. I'm enjoying it. Every game can turn out vastly different, there's a variety of ways to play, a variety of characters to chose from, you can make mistakes early in the game and still win, it was easy to pick up, and if you want to goof around and play a round for fun, great. Starcraft didn't let me do any of these.

Starcraft also didn't let me play as a pyromaniacal little girl and her stuffed bear.

Though these indulgences may have to taper off in the near future. Second round of midterms may be coming up and I got an invitation to start marketing again. Anyone remember me doing that? The pay is good, hours flexible, and I could always use more money.

Hopefully things warm up though. It's been frosty over here and I'd rather not be outside in minus 30 degree weather.

20 comments:

  1. Good luck for you midterms!
    And I've never been into anime, but glad you're enjoying it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. and it is scorching sunny here..dripping sweat. Come to India. Get burnt.CHEERS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo I do remember the marketing! NIiice! Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see how you feel about anime and manga. I'm currently following...four now and the general theme is "Oh those guys are stronger than us, let's unleash a super new technique we didn't know existed!" I don't think I watched any anime that came out in 2013 but I am hearing a lot more people talk about anime. Which I guess is a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good anime is hard to find. Toonami in the early 2000s had it right

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're blog's so funny! Def gonna share this! Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yuck to the cold indeed, I haven't watched anime since dragon ball z haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. My 2nd oldest (20 now) went through an anime phase, I remember he really, really loved it! He quit when he got older, I dunno if he still takes a peak at what's new now and then or not? It's fun to revisit things we used to love, esp. if it renews our interest again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Watching anime is one of my favourite things to do, alongside reading, writing and playing games on my PC. I guess it's an escapism thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, motherfucking Kill la Kill. That serie's hilarious. It's so over-the-top, and completely indulgent in it. Amazing execution.

    You're not playing on the EUW server, I assume? Shame, we could've done a game together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We all have things that seem to suck time away

    ReplyDelete
  12. I mean you're still technically responsible.

    Also, family friendly sites link to slightly questionable content with warnings. If you feel like sharing, I'd just do it like that instead of mentioning and showing off things you'd 'personally' rather not.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have stopped watching Anime after high school too, now I am back into reading manga and man I am wasting so much time. My friend plays league of legend and I really do not want to get into it...i won't get anything done...ever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Family friendly? Lasers flying out of her boobs? I'm curious now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. look at you! haha!
    I am into anime's as well but not into gaming. yay. hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wait, this blog is family friendly? I need to stop dropping the f-bomb and inviting all of those prostitutes to the comment section. I just thought I was being a generous guest. My entire commenting life has been a lie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your marketing job. I am sure it will be a nice help toward college.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love games.. but never try starcraft.

    ReplyDelete