Monday 15 April 2013

To Everyone Affected

I normally don't get the chance to talk about recent events because I try to make posts in advance. But today I think I'll change things up a little bit today. For those of you who haven't heard, there was a bombing at the Boston marathon today. Reports and what not have been going on all day and thanks to social media and sites like Reddit, we are able to get information and pictures as events unfold.

For better or for worse.

There are some very, very graphic images that I will not be sharing.

I know a lot of people are going to "lose faith" in humanity. Which is really stupid, one idiot decides to cause a lot of damage and suddenly we as a species has failed? If anything, this tragedy shows how many good people there are in the world. How fast ordinary citizens rushed to help the injured or reduce the chaos.

People like Carlos Arredondo who saved a man's life with his bare hands by literally preventing a man from bleeding to death. I have seen a lot of graphic images, I thought I was hardened to almost everything. But I still get queasy looking at that picture of Arredondo pinching a tourniquet as they pushed a victim away on a wheelchair.

And it's not because of the blood, or even the visible femur of the victim. Just seeing the tourniquet held shut by two fingers, and realizing that this is all that's preventing a man from dying. It's horrifying and humbling.

I still get a touch nauseous thinking about it.

This event is still fresh. Please take an extra second to double check if the information you've found is accurate. Both right and left-sided corporations are notorious for using tragedies to try and push for whatever political agenda they've been paid to promote. And they won't hesitate for a moment to skew or even falsify information.

And while we're on the topic of news networks, some of them have already begun fear mongering, spreading hate messages, and incorrect information. I want to be surprised, but I'm not. I mean, there was a shooting in a mall recently and the shooter posted all his information online prior to the attack. Luckily, no one was killed but the shooter proved his point. 

The news networks still failed to report his information correctly.


Last thing before I end this post. DO NOT donate to any Facebook charities. These are scammers trying to make a quick dollar off a tragedy. Donate instead to the Red Cross who will actually use your money to help the victims.

My thoughts go out to everyone in Boston. I have a few friends who are in the area and they are luckily unharmed. To any of my readers who may be in the area, stay safe, and I hope all your loved ones are safe as well.

20 comments:

  1. I agree. One idiot is not enough to predict our downfall. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just heard about this. It's a damn disgrace what some people will do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, it's so horrific. Ugh.

    (and some facebook charities are okay! I swear! Just do your research)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah pathetic how the fear mongering goes on and on, prob use it to justify another war or something. Heard about those scammers too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. President Obama is right that people should not jump to any conclusions yet about who is behind this bombing. Let the police do their job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I followed the events on the news, makes it feel more real than photos on the internet, to me at least. Absolutely terrible news, I am so relieved that no more bombs have detonated and that the death toll has remained static. This terrorism in the world needs to stop, it just has to, it's sick and wrong. Really hope that everyone of those injured pull through and get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember the Kony ones, if though it was "legit", only about 10 percent or less went to the actual charity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really love the message of your post, seeing the good side of people in he face of tragedy. I have refrained from seeing any pics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was such a horrible event. My thoughts are with the families involved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart goes out to anyone affected by these bombings as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's just horrible. Good point about fake charities.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post. I think it's important for us all to stop and reflect on all the good people in this world and pray for all those who are evil.

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's always deeply terrifying when innocent people are victims of crazy politicians and crazy minds.
    Eventhough my own country was bombed and destroyed multiple times during history, and many of those times by American attackers who killed thousands of innocent men,women and children here, this doesn't mean that my country doesn't feel the pain of the innocent people in USA who are victims by acts like this one in Boston. We actually had citizens of Belgrade running from the centre of the city to the American embassy yesterday in a small marathon honouring the victims in Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YOU ARE SO RIGHT about not losing faith in humanity...I just blogged about that this morning. There are far far more good people in the world than bad...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was an important post and I'm glad you shared it...I did notice a lot of people asking for donations on facebook, and now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  16. dont look
    you fail
    nice one

    ReplyDelete
  17. #prayforboston I was so shocked when I woke up to this sad news :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's truly a horrifying event, so many people affected.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've deliberately avoided the news and the images. But it doesn't shatter my faith in humanity, just makes me very sad that there are people who are moved to hurt others.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great advice with the fake charities. People just want to help so badly they don't actually stop and think where their money is going.

    Also, with so many people so willing to truly help (not just throwing money at it) my faith in humanity is anything but lost.

    ReplyDelete