Wednesday 21 May 2014

Haitus Recap: Project Jason

Project Jason is my attempt at getting more muscle. Too long have I been a sack of organs barely held in by a thin membrane of skin. I've slowly noticed changes like my arms getting slightly bigger, clothes not fitting properly, and I say to myself, yeah, I think it's working.

And then I take a look at myself from a picture from before I started working out and THEN the differences become truly noticeable.

Those gains...

I guess it's because I see myself everyday so the changes aren't all that apparent. Hence the importance of progress pictures. I know I didn't take a picture back in August when I first started because of how embarrassed I was. But the closest thing I have is a picture from November and that was when I gained about 20 pounds.

And since November I've gained about another 15 pounds. It scares me to think of how thin I used to be. In fact, browsing various online fitness boards has lead to a startling realization. After all my hard work, I am only now considered "skinny".

Let that sink in for a moment. Almost 10 months of going to the gym has finally allowed me to be promoted to skinny.

So what was I considered before? Well, they have a lovely term for men who have noodle limbs and visible ribs: "Auschwitz mode".

Other acceptable terms include "hungry skeleton".

No matter, I'm still going to keep pushing to reach what they call "Ottermode" or the body type most associated with swimmers. For the first time ever, I'm at a healthy BMI at 165 pounds. My goal is to be around 200 pounds of muscle.

But this goal also puts me in an awkward position. Ideally, you want to be able to bench/overhead press your own body weight and squat/deadlift DOUBLE your bodyweight. Over the last few weeks I've finally been able to squat/deadlift 1 plate (45 pounds each side) and I can bench/overhead press maybe half of that.

I'm proud of myself, but I have a long way to go.

What's also funny is that I've developed somewhat noticeable pecs. And I can't stop touching them. Seriously, I'll be standing around and I'll poke them to make sure they're still there. What can I say? They're nice.

I imagine that it's similar for women when they first start developing breasts.

Ok, they're not that impressive yet, but maybe one day.

I'm still with my original trainer Eli, and things are going well. My other trainer (simply named Trainer D) finally had me lifting weight and not nitpicking over form before he disappeared. Yep. High turnover rate for trainers at that other gym.

So they slapped me with another trainer who we'll call Trainer E. He's nice, I like him but he doesn't have the technical knowledge or training that Eli or Trainer D had. I only have 2 dozen sessions left and after that, I'm just going to workout with Eli non-stop for the rest of the summer.

19 comments:

  1. You're correct on the importance of progress pictures. Seeing yourself every single day doesn't really give a person a guage on long-term changes and results. It happened to me with weight loss. I have lost 54 pounds since 2008 and sometimes I have to compare the "then and now" pictures side-by-side to fully appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just realised that our trainers have the same name. How about that? In any case, well done on the sick gains bro. I was embarrassed to take a "before" photo myself. The one I have isn't really going to be a proper one either. Now I've already lost 30 pounds it seems a little silly to take another. But you do have to compare yourself to what you were. You aren't going to notice the difference. Even after five months I barely notice it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are getting there indeed, I guess I'd be at the skinny stage too haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. 200 pounds is a huge goal,, good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy you are finally seeing the results you want. Definitely follow up pics are helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man that sounds great, congratulations on the progress! Yes, you still have a ways to go, but last year you couldn't imagine coming this far, right? THE FUTURE IS PROMISING.
    (My limbs are looking fine, but my torso's still skinny and not muscular at all compared to the limbs. Any tips on torso (especially the upper torso) exercises I can do from home?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had time to go to a gym, though my job gives me the chance to work out somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As long as you are healthy and not hurting yourself, rest of the summer at gym is good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's good man. Hard work always pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A sack of organs barely held in by a thin membrane of skin... How visual. Bench press your own body weight... Well, I remember back in the day when I was Rambo's evil twin that I could press 198 lbs (3 sets of 6 reps) but I now.... pressing my own weight... Maybe in my dreams.... a single rep. Good to hear you're finally gaining some weight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, your rod's not quite done yet, but is there ever really an end? Even maintaining takes work an effort, that's where dedication really shows.

    Pecs are a lot of fun. So much fun. I could probably work mine a bit more, my brother's making me jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 200 pounds big goal be careful and consult the experts also

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you're really making some good progress. My youngest is trying to bulk up, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think most of us women poke our breasts when we get them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You think touching those pecs is great? Just wait until you can make them dance. You'll never stop. ...I'm kinda not kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you are doing a lot of hard work. I am sure it will all pay off in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've been working on this goal awhile, big kudos to you for sticking to it and making such nice progress!! Sending over a high five. :)

    ReplyDelete