Monday 26 May 2014

Haitus Recap: Health

My health has always been a problem for me, whether it's been my lungs or my poor sleeping habits, I've never been the pinnacle of well-being. And I guess you could consider my bodytype to be unhealthy too.

I mean, when you're used to surviving off 1 meal every 24 hours, how can you expect to look?

Like so.

But things have been getting better and I'd like to attribute it to heading to the gym. For example, I've started eating breakfast again! Yes, after over half a decade of skipping this meal I've been trying to add it back to my routine.

Because is it ever hard to get enough calories in a day with just 2 meals.

Why do I skip breakfast? Easy. Because I'd rather sleep in for another half an hour than get up to eat a bowl of cereal. Though, I guess I could just grab a banana on the go and eat that but again, the laziness of older me was too much to even do that.

Vector cereal is really good though, also lots of protein.

I've also been taking this new mass gainer. For a while I was barely able to breach 160 pounds but after a few weeks on it, I easily pushed myself to 165. The biggest problem? Despite being the best tasting mass gainer I've ever been on, it still tastes kind of gross.

I mean, how can you manage to make "chocolate" taste eggy and sour? How do you manage to turn "cookies and cream" into... Well, there are cookie bits that taste like chocolate but the cream... I don't like whatever "cream" flavour this is.

Who knows what the vanilla is like. I am so sick of vanilla, never again.

My stomach cringes at the thought.

The added benefit of this mass gainer though is that when I miss one or miss a meal is that I get hungry. I haven't felt "hungry" in ages so maybe this is my body finally adapting to wanting to eat more? That's a good thing right?

My sleep schedule hasn't really improved though. I'm still tired most of the time though whether it's from poor sleep during the night or the workouts is hard to say. Fortunately I have an appointment in July where I'm going to begin the process of booking another sleep study.

Except this time I'm going to be sleeping in a lab with a ton of things hooked up to me while getting monitored.

Yay for people watching me sleep.

My lungs haven't been bothering me too much despite the increased loads I've been lifting at the gym. In fact, the only times my lung ever seem to bother me is excessive cardio. I had one temporary trainer who pushed me and I was just winded, light-headed, and actually nauseous.

No more cardio. Cardio isn't going to get me big, lifting heavy weights will.

17 comments:

  1. Hurray for breakfast! I don't think I've ever skipped it, and I'm rarely ever really sick. So surely there's a correlation between those two!
    The sleep study sounds kind of... odd, since obviously you'll have trouble sleeping when you're all wired up and under permanent surveillance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're feeling better and that you're not skipping breakfast anymore. I have a bad habit of doing that myself. I"m interested to know what the findings of the sleep study are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad things are working out indeed, all those mass things taste like crap, but if they work, oh well. Cardio I do so I don't get a gut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought a personal blender where the jar becomes the glass. Add fruits to the mix. yep I just did 2 nights hooked up for a sleep study. Weird at first but not too hard to fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sleep is key in building muscle to. You need that

    ReplyDelete
  6. I skip breakfast so much, it's not funny. A handful of chips counts as breakfast right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't overdo at the gym man!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. take care! exercise more

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't ever skip breakfast, I'm always too hungry when I wake up. In fact, I just can't skip meals. I like food too much. I'm pretty lazy, but I'll do anything for something nice to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only issue with getting very muscular is that you have to keep the exercise up forever, otherwise it turns to fat. So everything in moderation I say!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope the sleep study turns up something positive for you. A consistent lack of sleep can affect way too many things. Congrats on the little bit of added weight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't imagine not feeling hungry! I have to snack about every 3 hours or I feel like I'm starving. Glad your pulmonary issues have stabilized.

    ReplyDelete
  13. exercise with prevention

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well good on you for deciding to eat! But why the desire to bulk up?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just read about your lungs. That sucks. My lungs are my biggest enemy and I wish I could buy some new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry to hear about your health issues but it looks like you are pulling through. I hope the symptoms keep getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Man, breakfast is pretty important to just be skipping in its entirety. Good thing new you is slightly less lazy, yeah?

    Good luck on the lab!

    ReplyDelete